Good morning to all of the snow goose chasers out there. This morning is one of many reports to come on the snow goose migration in the midwest. Yesterday I made a trip to Mound City to finish securing some prime cornfields this also included a nice pond that should produce some outstanding days of shooting. We saw 50,000 – 100,000 snow geese on Squaw Creek NWR there were also 10,000 or thousands of snow geese north in the hills feeding. everyone should also beware that there are large numbers of snows at Smithville Reservior, and in the Grand Pass area. The conservation action opens Wednesday, February 1, 2012
Spring snow goose hunting allows even the young shooters to practice thier skill.
- When hunting snow geese, the more calls you have the better. Try using two electronic calls plus your mouth call.
- Nebraska, Iowa, Northwest Missouri, South Dakota and North Dakota are some of the most popular states for spring snow goose hunting.
- Gun Loads (for 12-Guages): 3-inch BB, BBB, or T-Shot in steel. In Bismuth and Tungsten, BBs and 2s are the loads of choice.
- Choke: improved to full, depending on how your gun patterns with the large loads.
- Call your state Wildlife Agency for general information on season dates, regulations, and snow goose staging areas.
- For detailed tips on hunting spring snows, check out Ron Spomer’s article, “Strategies for Spring Snows,” in the Jan./Feb. issue of DU Magazine.
- Decoying: Most guides use 1,000 or more decoys, but if you aren’t going with a guide, 400 to 600 decoys will do the trick.
- Arrange decoys in a teardrop shape, large at one end and small at the other with your blind in the center.
- If the geese aren’t coming all the way to your decoys, switch from white clothes to camouflage and set up 100 yards downwind of your decoys.
- Scouting is key. Try to hunt a field that birds were in the night before.
- Flags and wind socks add movement to a decoy spread. Some hunters also use black and white balloons attached to poles to create the same effect.
Spring Snow Goose hunts available February through March. Full Body Avery GHG decoys, Silo Socks, flyers and custom eletronic callers. $150 per hunter / per day.
Call 855-473-2875 To Book Your Hunt!